Top 5 World Players of all time

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

DoubleRay
Posts: 1246
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by DoubleRay » 25 Dec 2019, 18:23

Here's my top 5.

1. Pele.
2. Gerd Muller.
3. Bobby Moore.
4. George Best.
5. Ronaldo.

You might disagree.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20265
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by tonyp » 25 Dec 2019, 18:32

1. Pelé
2. Diego Maradona
3. Ferenc Puskás
4. Cristiano Ronaldo
5. George Best

You might disagree.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29261
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by bristleposh » 25 Dec 2019, 20:59

Pele
Cruyf
Puskas
Beckenbaur
Zinedine Zidane
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16464
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by DaveLister » 28 Dec 2019, 01:11

Bobby Moore
George Best
Franz Beckenbaur
Pele
Luis Figo
Image

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29261
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by bristleposh » 28 Dec 2019, 09:14

DaveLister wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 01:11
Bobby Moore
George Best
Franz Beckenbaur
Pele
Luis Figo
After your comments about Dennis Emery, did you see all of those play?
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20265
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by tonyp » 28 Dec 2019, 11:06

bristleposh wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 09:14
DaveLister wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 01:11
Bobby Moore
George Best
Franz Beckenbaur
Pele
Luis Figo
After your comments about Dennis Emery, did you see all of those play?
:lol: :clap: :clap:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow - Albert Einstein

DoubleRay
Posts: 1246
Joined: 12 Jul 2016, 15:39
Location: Stanground

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by DoubleRay » 28 Dec 2019, 11:17

tonyp wrote:
25 Dec 2019, 18:32
1. Pelé
2. Diego Maradona
3. Ferenc Puskás
4. Cristiano Ronaldo
5. George Best

You might disagree.
No 2 would fit in the dirtiest cheating scumbag of all time. :roll:

User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16464
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by DaveLister » 28 Dec 2019, 14:44

tonyp wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 11:06
bristleposh wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 09:14
DaveLister wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 01:11
Bobby Moore
George Best
Franz Beckenbaur
Pele
Luis Figo
After your comments about Dennis Emery, did you see all of those play?
:lol: :clap: :clap:
Fair point :lol:
Image

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1901
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by White G » 05 Jan 2020, 16:13

Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.

User avatar
Lester Bangs
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Feb 2020, 09:42
Location: P-Town

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by Lester Bangs » 13 Feb 2020, 11:29

Pele
Beckenbauer
Zidane
Xavi
Di Stefano - along with Puskas the greatest player never to win a World Cup
The ultimate sin of any performer is contempt for the audience.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29261
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by bristleposh » 13 Feb 2020, 11:35

White G wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 16:13
Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.
Just a thought, how many games did you see in the sixties and seventies
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
Lester Bangs
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 Feb 2020, 09:42
Location: P-Town

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by Lester Bangs » 13 Feb 2020, 12:45

bristleposh wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:35
White G wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 16:13
Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.
Just a thought, how many games did you see in the sixties and seventies


To be fair, some of those players are very old these days. Never mind wipe the floor with George Best, you'd need to sweep him up.
The ultimate sin of any performer is contempt for the audience.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 29261
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by bristleposh » 13 Feb 2020, 14:57

Lester Bangs wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 12:45
bristleposh wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:35
White G wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 16:13
Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.
Just a thought, how many games did you see in the sixties and seventies


To be fair, some of those players are very old these days. Never mind wipe the floor with George Best, you'd need to sweep him up.
Beckenbaure was probably the best defender of all time, certainly the best I have seen, he was at his peerless best in the sixties and seventies
When you are dead, you don't know you're dead.
It's difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid

User avatar
White G
Posts: 1901
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by White G » Yesterday, 20:38

bristleposh wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:35
White G wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 16:13
Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.
Just a thought, how many games did you see in the sixties and seventies
None live of course but modern footballers are fitter, healthier, bigger & stronger. No top player could smoke or binge drink anymore, they got away with it in bygone eras but the standard now is far higher.

It's also worth noting that football is more popular than ever globally, with better training facilities, training methods etc.

Meatspinner
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Feb 2020, 11:46

Re: Top 5 World Players of all time

Post by Meatspinner » Yesterday, 23:41

White G wrote:
Yesterday, 20:38
bristleposh wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:35
White G wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 16:13
Messi
Ronaldo
Zidane
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Iniesta

Modern footballers have taken the game to a whole new level so I've only selected players from the last couple of decades. The great Spain, Barcelona or even Man United teams of the last 2 decades would wipe the floor with anything from the 60s/70s.
Just a thought, how many games did you see in the sixties and seventies
None live of course but modern footballers are fitter, healthier, bigger & stronger. No top player could smoke or binge drink anymore, they got away with it in bygone eras but the standard now is far higher.

It's also worth noting that football is more popular than ever globally, with better training facilities, training methods etc.

Put players like Puskas, Pele and Di Stefano into the modern era and expose them to the same conditioning as Messi and Ronaldo and there would be five all time greats currently playing.

No matter how fit a player is it's still a sport where talent matters. Pele has probably forgotten more in a ninety minute match than Neymar will ever know about football.

Post Reply